Browse Items (11 total)

  • Collection: The 1795 disaster

A description of the context surrounding the formation of the Orange Order district lodge and its relationship to Lough Derg

Graveyard on irregular-plan, laid out c. 1600. Now out of use. Contains a collection of multidenominational cut stone gravemarkers (upstanding, recumbent, and table-type memorials) mainly dating from c. 1750 to c. 1900. Two ashlar limestone…

"Being far from the ocean when the stormy wind rose..."

"Occasional freakish summer storms are peculiar to Lough Derg. Pilgrims often alighting at the shore on a tranquil summer day are often surprised at the unexpected commotion of the deeps and the dark yeasty appearance of the water..."

"About twenty of the victims were buried on Friars' Island, where fir-trees on a mound show their grave to-day..."

"As a boat was being loaded with passengers at eleven o'clock, an elderly man arrived at the shore and urgently signalled to his son to come away with him..."

"The end of the eighteenth-century history of Lough Derg is sadly remembered because of a particularly bad boating accident..."

"Friars' Island is unmistakable, because it is the nearest to the ferry. Unfortunately, the origin of its name is unknown..."

An etching of Templecarne Graveyard, where victims of the 1795 disaster were buried.

"But the most lamentable catastrophe of all happened here in 1795 — a catastrophe which for many years cast a gloom over the place..."