Situating Lough Derg

Dublin Core

Title

Situating Lough Derg

Subject

Lough Derg--Antiquities--Guide--Commentary

Description

A history of Lough Derg and its Antiquities.

Creator

James Stephens, 1882-1950

Source

Illustrated handbook of the scenery and antiquities of Southwestern Donegal ... / [by Monsignor James Stephens] ; with notes of the road for tourists to the wild, p. 90

Publisher

McGlashan and Gill, Dublin

Date

1872

Contributor

Digitised by Google, sponsored by New York Public Library, archived on Hathi Trust digital library

Rights

Public domain

Format

Handbook

Language

English

Type

Illustrated handbook

Identifier

DD_0467

Coverage

54.6083, -7.8714

Text Item Type Metadata

Text

“This famous place of pilgrimage and penance is situate in the Co. Donegal, on the confines of Tyrone and Fermanagh. It is only a few miles from Pettigo, a station on the Enniskillen and Bundoran Railway, being separated from it by a large tract of uncultivated and desolate moorland. This lake is about three miles long, by two and a half miles broad. It is dotted over with islands and rocks, and is surrounded by hills of mica slate from seven to twelve hundred feet high. It was anciently called Derg abban (the river of the woody morass), from a river which flows from it into the Erne. It was also called Fion loch, (the fair or white lake), and it is said to have received its present name of Lough Derg, from a legend which ascribes to St. Patrick the killing of a monster, the blood of which tinged the lake a red colour. It was also called St. Fintan's Island, from a celebrated saint of the Connellians of Tirconnel in the seventh century. The history of this island and its antiquities are recorded by many writers, among whom I may mention Giraldus Cambrensis, Mathew Paris, Camden, Ware, Colgan, Archdall, and Lanigan. A monastery was founded here, about the end of the fifth century (490), of the order of St. Augustine, by St. Dubeog. It was called Termon Dubeog, and was dedicated to SS. Peter and Paul. We often times find it mentioned in ‘The Annals of the Four Masters.’”

Original Format

iv, [3]-128 p., [10] leaves of plates : ill. ; 19 cm

Citation

James Stephens, 1882-1950, “Situating Lough Derg,” Digital Derg: A Deep Map, accessed July 16, 2024, https://digitalderg.eu/items/show/488.

Geolocation