Rathnacross Fairy Fort

Dublin Core

Title

Rathnacross Fairy Fort

Subject

Lough Derg--Folklore--Fairy Fort--Rathnacross

Description

"There is a circular fence of earth on top of a hill in the school district. It is known as Rathnacross and is situated in the townland of Drumawark.

There is a hole in the middle of it where a Celtic cross stood but it is broken now and the remains of it are in Carne graveyard. The cross was a land-mark on the way to Lough Derg and it was also a mark of the boundary of the Terman lands which once belonged to the monks who lived on the island of Lough Day.

Some men have dug up some clay in the centre of the circle and have found blackened flag stones where beacon fires had been lit. These fires were also used as a land mark.

All the people travelled on foot to Lough Derg at that time and used an old road which passes Rathnacross.

The fairy-people were supposed to live in this rath and it was said that if a person spoke to them he would be taken away on a white horse and never be let down off him."

Creator

Ernest Crawford

Source

The Schools’ Collection, Volume 1030, Page 341

Publisher

National Folklore Collection, UCD

Date

1937-39

Contributor

duchas.ie, hosting and crowd-sourced transcription

Rights

CC BY-NC 4.0 International License

Format

Transcribed text and digitised manuscript

Language

English

Type

Oral history, folklore
Oral History

Identifier

DD_0006

Coverage


54.581320,-7.814409

References

https://www.duchas.ie/en/cbes/4428265/4389705/4477938

Oral History Item Type Metadata

Interviewer

Ernest Crawford

Interviewee

Mrs B. Crawford

Location

Cullion, County Donegal

Files

87029675f162be19c952c8760c32c238.jpg

Citation

Ernest Crawford, “Rathnacross Fairy Fort,” Digital Derg: A Deep Map, accessed June 22, 2024, https://digitalderg.eu/items/show/6.

Geolocation