The lake returns to the Diocese

Dublin Core

Title

The lake returns to the Diocese

Subject

Lough Derg--Description--1940s--Margaret Gibbons

Description

"In the year 1917 the final lawsuit took place, at the Quarter sessions in Donegal, before County Court Judge Cooke, K.C. ..."

Creator

Margaret Gibbons, 1884-1969

Source

Gibbons, Margaret, Guide to St. Patrick’s Purgatory, Lough Derg, p. 15

Publisher

Talbot Press, Dublin and Cork

Date

1933

Rights

Citation for the purposes of criticism

Format

Monograph

Language

English

Type

Pilgrim guide

Identifier

DD_0109

Coverage

54.616218, -7.876212

Text Item Type Metadata

Text

"In the year 1917 the final lawsuit took place, at the Quarter sessions in Donegal, before County Court Judge Cooke, K.C. The hearing of the case occupied two days. In summing up the learned Judge gave it as his opinion that "the original Church to which the Island belonged has never laid aside its claim. It never offered or consented to acknowledge that anybody else could have dominion entirely over this holy ground." Accordingly, His Honour dismissed the case, and soon afterwards a consent was entered into by both parties - Sir John Leslie and the representatives of the Diocese of Clogher - according to the terms of which Sir John surrendered all claim to the ownership of Station Island, Lough Derg, and agreed, moreover, to convey to the Diocesan trustees in fee simple one acre of ground on the mainland surrounding the landing-stage, and moreover, that one acre of the lake bottom surrounding Station Island be likewise conveyed to trustees for building purposes."

Original Format

Guide booklet

Collection

Citation

Margaret Gibbons, 1884-1969, “The lake returns to the Diocese,” Digital Derg: A Deep Map, accessed February 25, 2024, https://digitalderg.eu/items/show/126.

Geolocation